Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Woot do you think about this?

Theron recently discovered woot.com, an online store that sells one electronics-type item per day either until it sells out or until 11:59pm central time of that day. I think it's sort of a market testing type of thing or maybe they also use it to get rid of overstock but either way its cheap which is always a good thing. In fact, we recently got a very good deal on a dvd/cd/receiver unit from them.

Anyway, the folks at woot have a weekly contest inviting people to take an item that has been featured on the website and incorporating it into a landscape, movie poster, artwork etc depending on the designated theme. Last week's contest theme was to make a "monument" of a Westinghouse Intelliblend blender. Theron joined in the fun of it and entered 3 or 4 pieces, 2 of which were totally kick ass. It's not just me saying this either as several other people who entered the contest raved about one of his pieces in particular.

However, the judges as woot were not as impressed and while giving Theron TWO honorable mentions, awarded 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th (which was really an honorable mention but still won a cash prize) to other entries which were also for the most part, ass-kickingly good.

Below I've posted these 6 entries. Try and guess the order in which the judges ranked them then click here to see if you were right.






9 comments:

Mom Wallis said...

VERY GOOD, son. As usual I am very impressed, but not surprised. Keep on trying...........win some money.
Mom

Doah said...

Hmmm. I actually think Theron's were a bit too sophisticated for them. Oh look. Devil's rock, but in the shape of a blender. That's mindbending. What did they call the stonehenge one again? Blenderhenge? I don't...oh wait. Now I get it. Witty.

River Mom said...

VERY cool! I persoanlly would have taken absinthe or Eifel over the mountain or the other tree one. Must admit I did LOVE that bridge though. Keep em coming Theron!

Aredubya said...

I really like the Eiffel Tower, Stonehenge and Tower Bridge ones, so I'm pleased that my eye was similarly tunes to that of the judges (though really, they missed the mark on Eiffel Tower not being a top 3 at least - that is damn good work).

Redpanda said...

I totally agree with Doah! I think they were going for more obviousness. Subtlety does not seem to be their strong point. And the Eiffel Tower?! That's effing brilliant.

Sean said...

I'm also guessing the judges don't know what the Eiffel Tower pic is referencing.

Paige said...

I think the piece with the most visual subtlety is "blender henge" but as it surely did not require much skill to create, I was particularly incensed that it placed over Theron's Eiffel Tower homage. I mean, how hard can it be to change a stone block silhouette into a blender silhouette? sheesh!

Sean said...

Only the druids know.

River mom said...

I just read through all those comments on the Woot site about your "tower". Obviously the guys at Woot didn't or you WOULD have had 1st prize! ;o*