Tuesday, November 29, 2005

There's a reason why it's a cardinal rule

You know how they say that you should never leave your baby alone for even a second unless they are in their up-to-current-safety-standards crib? For example, it is ill advised to leave ones infant alone on the couch to step into the other room, even if they seem to be tucked securely in the corner and even if it is only for the briefest of moments. And I know this. EVERYBODY knows this. So what did I do yesterday? Yep; I stepped into the other room for the briefest of moments, leaving Sylvie tucked 'securely' into the corner of the couch. No sooner had I stepped into the other room then I here a muffled thump!

So I fly back to the couch and sure enough, Sylvie is now on the floor having rolled off of the couch, onto the cushions I placed on the floor below her just in case (because I KNEW I was doing something stupid by leaving her alone for a brief moment, ya see) and then rolling just a bit more onto the hardwood floor. So she's face down and not making a sound and I'm freaking out and picking her up and rocking her back and forth saying I'm so sorry I'm so sorry I'm a bad mommy I'm a bad mommy, on the verge of hysterical tears and meanwhile Sylvie, who is unhurt and appears only mildly flummoxed about what had just happened is looking at me like,"what is wrong with you?"

In other, less how-bad-a-mommy-is-Paige anyway? news:

As some of you have witnessed, Theron and I will often amuse ourselves by lightly patting Sylvie's mouth with a finger when she is making a sound, causing a wah-wah-wah sort of noise. Sylvie has caught on to this and will now pat your closed fist against her mouth to the same effect. Sylvie also might have started waving hello, but she isn't consistent about it so I'm not sure if she knows what she's doing and while she is defintiely saying "mama", I'm not sure if she knows what it means yet. I've read that most babies say "dada" first because it's suppoesed to be easier for them but Sylvie is much more likely to spout strings of mamas and babas at this point.

2 comments:

Manda said...

Hey paige don't worry about that. Kids react in the weirdest way to getting hurt sometimes.

Once when I was watching Michelle Diane and David in canada (you remember them) Diane fell down the stairs to the basement. I mean the entire flight...I thought she must have broken an arm or something I rushed over to the top of the stairs and looked down at her. She looked up at me as if she was about to scream bloody murder and then started laughing like a hyena.

No joke.
crazy kid.

Anyway, sometimes they get hurt otehr times not so much. You aren't a bad mom, stuff happens.

LOL besides if she hadn't chosen to roll off the sofa where you had tucked her safely she wouldn't have gotten hurt would she?
Atleast you put pillows there to cusion the blow if something were to happen.

I'ts not like you told her not to touch something cause it was too hot and she turned around and had to test HOW hot it was ;)

RiverMom said...

LOLOLOLOLOL Good one Moose ! ;o)