Sunday, April 09, 2006

Oh my aching ta-tas!

Today is Day 3 of The Weaning of Wee Wallis. I had hoped that as she'd only been nursing once or twice a day for a while now that going cold turkey would not be overly painful for either of us. As it turns out, I was half right; Sylvie has apparently already forgotten that her chief source of sustenance was once mama juice and instead quite happily downs several ounces of whole milk with Instant Breakfast (more calories! more I say!) first thing in the morning.

Thankfully, the emotional pain that I thought would accompany my decision to wean has been much less than I had originally expected. I do miss the closeness and when I'm holding her and my boobs are feeling like they're about to 'splode, I am sorely (ha, ha) tempted to offer her a nipple not made from silicone. BUT, I have decided upon this course of action and I know that giving in to that feeling will only prolong the agony.

Did I say agony? It's not really that bad...except when any pressure other than the clothes I'm wearing is applied to my chest...then it comes kinda close. Mostly it's like the post header says; a constant ache. I was figuring it would probably take a week or so for the milk to dry up but then I looked it up online and saw that it can take SEVERAL weeks. YIKES!. Time to buy a jumbo bottle of ibuprofen and start stuffing my bra with cabbage leaves I guess.

7 comments:

Robyn said...

The Russians I work with swear by cabbage leaves for this sort of thing.

River G'ma said...

Cabbage leaves? Really? Ca you explain why they help please?

Paige said...

According to the link I included in the post, there has been little scientific research into it. I have no idea why it's supposed to work but it's mentioned in several places on line that have to do with breastfeeding and weaning.

I sorta caved a bit yesterday and nursed Sylvie briefly as she asked for booby and I was feeling REALLY uncomfortable. Instead of cold-turkey, I think I'll cut down to once every couple of days and go from there.

Manda said...

I've heard about cabbage leaves too. Can't quite remember where though.

It sounds like a good plan you've got paige. Are you not pumping anymore? I heard that if you stop breastfeeding and continue pumping that your milk will start to dry up faster....but I'm sure you've heard that already :)

KatieJoeandGrace said...

I tried to cut down on pumping little by little but it still HURT! I know your pain, believe me! I've never heard of the cabbage leaves, but I would have tried anything at that point! I got an Ace bandage and wrapped it as tight as I could around the outside of my bra. You would think pressure would be bad, but it was the only thing that helped me get through that time! And LOTS of nursing pads!

KatieJoeandGrace said...

Tag-- you're IT! Please go to my site and see what you need to do! Check out my posting from today, 4/18. :-)

Beverly McAlister said...

michael is still nursing, he's 16months, i tell everyone i wanted to stop at a year but he had other plans, he sees no reason to give it up and since it's usually the only way he'll go to sleep, that's reason enough for me to keep going, but i am getting tired of it, i know i'll miss it when he stops but i'm ready to sleep all night and not have to nurse when i'm eating, trying to drink my coffee while he kicks my cup, gardening, watching tv, talking to friends, etc., etc. pretty much all the time!! ahhhh! i keep telling him he needs to get a new hobby!
as for advice for aching ta-tas, hot showers worked great! you can express just enough to get relief and not signal the girls to make more!